Hexagon Sensemaking Canvas
StoryPointsStoryPoints help people share their experiences and answer questions about their stories so that they can forward the true meaning of their story.
Usually a StoryPoint is a website, but it can also be a paper form. The StoryConnect App is meant for situations where it is essential to record stories (sound or video), to add photo’s or for off-the-grid situations where no data-network is available.
3 types of StoryPoints can be distinguished:
- Public StoryPoint – A place where the general public can share experiences regarding an organisation, product, subject or service.
- DiaryBook – A kind of storybook, where people regularly reflect in private on their own actions or other confidential matters.
- FirePlace – A place for a community to exchange stories, work with them and take decisions.
For novel applications StoryPoints are developed in Inception projects. For existing applications previously developed StoryPoints are reused (and always further developed) in Insight or Impact application projects.
StoryDashboardsStoryDashboards make the results of a StoryConnect solution available
A StoryDashboard must be in line with the phase of a project. StoryDashboard grow in functionality and power with the needs of the project or application. We distinguish 3 types:
- ProjectDashboard– Visualizes the vital progress information such as the number of responses by group or community over time. The ProjectDashboard is used to keep the customer informed on progress. It also features StoryCards that contain one responses per page such as the story, title and other relevant information. These are used for example in .StoryWorkshops.
- ResultDashboard – Besides project information a RestultsDashboard shows histograms, timelines, heatmaps, etc of all data. The ResultsDashboard is used to quickly get an overview of all results. It is also used to gain insight and take decisions in smaller projects or the early phases of bigger projects / applications.
- AccelerationDashboard – This type of dashboard is aimed at carrying out deep-diving and extensive evaluation of the results to come up with well-founded observations by StoryConnect experts and trained partners. An AccelerationDashboard is highly interactive, features statistical tests and it aimed at the rapid generation of input information for Insight and Decisioning Workshops.
StoryDashboards are bespoke per application. They can be updated by hand or automatically. Normally the are used in the back-office but they can be public or even made available in-house.
Hexagon Sensemaking CanvasA tool for sensemaking and designing StoryConnect solutions
The Hexagon Sensemaking Canvas (HSC) is a tool for gaining insight (sensemaking) and decisioning. The Canvas helps mapping internal and external aspects and perspectives of an organisation or situation.
The HSC features seven spaces:
- The black spaces are meant for internal aspects Control – Cooperation – Autonomy. These originate from Robert Keidel’s work on the triangular nature of organisation.
- The orange spaces are meant for external aspects Order – Complex – Chaos. These are based in the beta-sciences and were recently properly interconnected by Stuart Kauffman.
- The black space in the middle stands for Self. It contains the values (inward) and identities (outward) that people (individually or as a community or organisation) consciously or unconsciously use to take decisions or that one wants to protect, reinforce or change by interventions.
The Canvas is – amongst others – used for:
- Mapping aspects of situations or events
- Mapping the effects of intended interventions.
- Designing tools such as StoryPoints and StoryDashboards
- Evaluating projects, project-cycles or applications